- 1 (5 to 6 pound) Whole Chicken
- Kosher salt, as needed
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus a few extra sprigs
- 1 bunch fresh Rosemary
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 2 tbs fresh Sage, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
- 1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
- 4 potatoes cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 bulb fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges Olive oil
Prep 30 | Cookover | Serves: 6
- 1) Preheat Napoli oven on Low with door on.
- 2) Remove the chicken giblets and rinse the chicken inside and out. Liberally salt the inside of the chicken and stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme and rosemary, both halves of lemon, and the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, potatoes, and fennel in a large cast iron skillet. Toss with salt, sprigs of thyme, sage and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- 3) Roast the chicken for 1 hour covered with foil and an extra 30 minutes without the foil. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and let chicken rest for 20 minutes before serving.