Braised Pork Shoulder
- 1 pork shoulder (3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 Tbs salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 carrots, cut in halves lengthwise
- 4 onions, cut in halves lengthwise
- 2 garlic heads, cut in halves widthwise
- 4 Rosemary sprigs
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
Prep over | Cookover | Serves: 8
- 1) Season the pork shoulder with salt, paprika and pepper. In a bowl, make a paste by whisking together the garlic, paprika and olive oil. Rub the paste all over the pork. Wrap the pork shoulder in plastic wrap and place in a bowl and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- 2) Preheat the pizza oven on low heat.
- 3) Place the onions, carrots, garlic and rosemary in the bottom of a Dutch oven large enough to hold the pork shoulder. Put the roast on top of the onions and add the chicken stock. Cover and braise in the oven for 4 to 5 hours, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reads between 155°F and 160° F.
- 4) Remove the roast from the pan and let it rest for about 15 minutes until it is cool enough to slice. Serve with the braised onions, carrots and remaining liquids.